The Arthritis Foundation, the largest organization representing the arthritis community, has recently published a position on the effectiveness of CBD to treat arthritis. The first thing that the Arthritis Foundation wants is for the FDA to expedite study of CBD and the regulations that surround it. Some of the key takeaways of the Arthritis foundation are as follows:
- CBD may help with arthritis-related symptoms, such as pain, insomnia, and anxiety.
- While no major safety issues have been found with CBD when taken in moderate dosages, potential drug interactions have been identified.
- CBD use should be discussed with your doctor before use.
- Experts recommend starting with a small dosage.
- Buy from a reputable company that provides independent lab tests that test for purity, potency, and safety.
The guidelines from the Arthritis Foundation are an excellent start. There are additional important factors for consumers to understand when treating a condition as severe as arthritis and related symptoms.
- CBD is a natural anti-inflammatory compound, which can play a role in modulating the body’s natural inflammatory response.
- CBD is thought to work on pain in in two different parts of the body: the site of soreness and the central nervous system. That is why at MARK3 CBD we offer a topical cream and a sublingual oil as well as vegan oral capsules.
- More study is needed to understand all the benefits of CBD, but the anecdotal feedback we have received from MARK3 CBD customers has been overwhelmingly positive. For many, conventional therapies aren’t enough to relieve the discomfort. So in addition to alternative treatments like acupuncture, people with arthritis are turning to cannabidiol, or CBD, in conjunction with other therapies to achieve optimal results.
Legal restrictions have historically limited researchers' access to cannabis – including medical marijuana and CBD. This has impeded research on the effectiveness of cannabis in treating chronic conditions, including arthritis.
Dr. Peter Grinspoon a primary care physician at Massachusetts General Hospital recently stated, “We only have mostly animal studies – especially with pain – and the enthusiasm for CBD has obviously gotten ahead of the actual hardcore scientific data. So we’re in this little bit of a gray twilight zone.”
Dr. Leslie Mendoza Temple medical director of the Integrative Medicine Program at NorthShore University HealthSystem in Illinois echoed that sentiment and also added, “Some of my patients have benefitted from taking CBD, patients who have reported positive results noted “It takes the edge of or that they felt more relaxed, their muscles felt relaxed and they didn’t have as much pain.
There is no doubt that there needs to be more scientific study done on CBD and it is important to talk to your doctor, and start slow when trying CBD to treat arthritis pain but many Dr.’s are recommending trying CBD to treat these symptoms because CBD is considered safe with very few if any side effects.
The last thing to consider when deciding to treat arthritis with CBD is where to buy. Dr. Grinspoon has this to say, “It’s not regulated, so you need to make sure you get it from a reputable source.” And, “Make sure to confirm any CBD product you're considering buying has been independently tested to ensure it's safety and that ingredients and dosing (like milligrams of CBD, and THC content) match what's on the label”.
The anecdotal evidence for treating arthritis with CBD is promising and the animal testing that has been conducted has also yielded positive results. Many people suffering from arthritis don’t currently have effective treatments that can improve their quality of life. It is very possible that CBD could become an attractive option.
“A study published in the journal Pain in December 2017 analyzed whether CBD could prevent osteoarthritis pain and joint neuropathy. Based on their research, they affirmed that it did both because it decreased joint inflammation and served as a protectant to the nerves.”
At MARK3 CBD we source our organically grown hemp from farmers in Oregon and Colorado and are committed to producing to highest quality CBD on the market. Please visit the Online Shop to view our range of MARK3 CBD products.